Friday, April 6, 2012

Harmful Stereotypes


Stereotypes affect all races, and all cultures across the world, I can’t think of a culture or race that doesn’t have a stereotype.  While most experts will argue that all stereotypes, regardless of what they are, are all detrimental, I would have to disagree.  For instance many people would stereotype Asians as being very studious, particularly in math, what is wrong with that?  Or how about the stereotype that the Jewish people are very good with money and tend to save it all versus spend it on lavish items that are materialistic and unnecessary.  I see nothing wrong with being a smart individual or being good with money, perhaps more cultures should strive to be stereotyped this way.  For most Native Americans however, I will agree that the most common stereotypes definitely hurt the culture.  Lazy, uneducated, alcoholic, abusive, greedy, these are just some of the common stereotypes one may hear about Native Americans and unlike my two examples none are flattering to the culture.  Some may argue that stereotypes don’t hinder cultures or people as long as the general public realizes that it is simply a stereotype from years past and not the actual norm.  The problem with stereotypes however, is that regardless of whether or not someone actually believes them, we may subconsciously think about them.  For example if I was a warehouse owner looking to hire a worker to move boxes on the night shift and I had two equal candidates on paper, but one was Mexican and one was Native American, who would I hire.  Assuming all other resume attributes being equal, I can honestly say with no racist mentality that I would probably hire the Mexican applicant.  Even though racism plays no part in my personal decision and I know that stereotypes don’t necessarily apply to these two people, it is still the deciding factor subconsciously.  In the back of my mind I know that stereotypically Mexicans are fast efficient workers, while Native Americans are lazy drunks, why wouldn’t I hire the Mexican?  I guess my point here is that even if people don’t personally believe in stereotypes, they can subconsciously be on our mind.  Sometimes this may be a good thing, such as an Asian person getting hired for a mathematics jobs that they want.  However, for cultures where more bad stereotypes exist than good, all it does is continue to hold back the culture and individuals as a whole, regardless of whether or not the stereotype is acknowledged in our conscious.

Would you hire this stereotypical applicant?
Or would you hire this one?
Not believing stereotypes cognitively doesn't mean our subconscious doesn't believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment