Friday, April 6, 2012

Maps: More Than Just Directions

Until seeing some of the map art work in Engaged Resistance, I only thought of maps as serving their definition.

map  (mp)
n.
1.
a. A representation, usually on a plane surface, of a region of the earth or heavens.
b. Something that suggests such a representation, as in clarity of representation.
2. Mathematics The correspondence of elements in one set to elements in the same set or another set.
3. Slang The human face.
4. Genetics A genetic map.
tr.v. mappedmap·pingmaps
1.
a. To make a map of.
b. To depict as if on a map: Grief was mapped on his face.
2. To explore or make a survey of (a region) for the purpose of making a map.
3. To plan or delineate, especially in detail; arrange: mapping out her future.
4. Genetics To locate (a gene or DNA sequence) in a specific region of a chromosome in relation to known genes or DNA sequences.
5. Mathematics To establish a mapping of (an element or a set).



I will also say that I am not a very big art buff or connoisseur by any means, I do have a few pieces that will sometimes catch my eye for various reasons.  The Browning of America really caught my eye however.


I can't totally put into words why I like it, but I will try to explain why it catches my eye.  My grandma, wife of the recently passed grandpa with possible Native American ancestry, and my mom have both used Native American touches in decorating different houses.  So perhaps just from being exposed to it throughout my life I have a predisposition to liking it, Native American work represents familiarity and good memories subconsciously.  The other two aspects that appeal to me the most are the colors and the simplicity of it.  The yellow, tan, browns, and black combinations mesh so perfectly and tan/brown/black are colors that I use a lot in my apartment, they are calm and classic in my eyes.  I'm also a fan of how simple and appealing the piece is, I like to keep everything in my life as simple and uncomplicated as possible, this applies generally to the art I like as well.  However, I don't know if I totally understand how this is an example of engaged resistance, but to me it represents how simple and perfect Native American life was before white settlers pushed into Native American lands.  I like how the main focus of this art, for me at least was the representation of Native people and various animals, that plus the land they had made up the majority of their life and that's what I personally see represented here.  The painting is also has a bit of hidden message to me at least, the first few times I was looking over the black and white print in Rader, I didn't even see the ghostly writing of all of the different invading cultures.  I think this is a great way to show the impending "future" of what is to happen to the Native American's as a culture, yet it is not an overpowering or overly stated aspect of the painting.  It's mysterious and almost not there, like it is slowly creeping up on the continent, much like I'm sure the appearance of white settlers crept up on many Native American tribes in the past.  Other than gaining a new found perspective on maps, other than for directional purposes, and never thinking of a map as art, I would love to frame a print of this piece in my house.  If anyone knows where I can get a print of this piece I would be extremely grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment